Monday 21 June 2010

The Great Clearout....

Now though I am not proud of it, I have had the sort it out or get lost letter. There was an inspection and for all my little patches amidst the jungle, it's a fair cop. So intense ground stripping commenced yesterday.

Best method so far seems to be to use a fork to get at the top layer on as horizontal an angle as possible, gradually force it further in, lean hard and hear that quite comforting ripping noise as all the roots of the grass come away, and then remove the grass etc (with its couple of inches or so of roots) to an ever increasing pile at the bottom of the allotment.

It's slow going, back-breaking work. I am also slightly concerned I will end up with more soil on the rubbish heap than on the ground.

However, too bad, it must be done. However embarassing I have no problem with that notice. It is not fair to plots nearby who have worked hard to get it all clear to be face with a home grown weed factory. I must borrow that strimmer again....

So onto pest of the day - Ants. Thousands of them. When clearing the ground I have found two big nests so far and they are horrid. I have lost a few of the remaining broad beans as they are caked in ants. Better just to dig them up at that stage which is what I have done.

Back tonight - more stripping....now that just sounds wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment